How to Select an Identity Theft Company
Protecting your identity on your own just isn’t enough anymore. Your information is out there with your bank, telephone company, utility company, employer and credit card company. You give out your information numerous times throughout your life making you more susceptible to becoming an identity theft victim. To help you get along in life without worrying if someone is pretending to be you at that very moment, you can look for an identity theft company to be a second pair of eyes – a pair of eyes with x-ray vision. Here are some things to look for with an identity theft company before subscribing to their services:
- The ultimate goal for you using an identity theft company is to ensure that your personal information will be carefully watched. Besides looking at an affordable monthly rate, ensure that the company will monitor credit card, social security, address change and driver’s license fraud. An additional service you could use is Internet monitoring, which will help to ensure that your personal information isn’t being sold online.
- Also, check to see if fraud alerts are being conducted on all three credit bureaus – Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. Most companies will offer you one or more free credit reports each year.
- Check to see if the fraud alerts the company offers is renewed automatically every so often. Some will do this every three months.
- If fraudulent activities are ever detected, will the identity theft company notify you and help you in any way possible to catch the thief and save your good name? Some businesses will offer insurance to help pay for lawyers, accountants, investigators, case managers, etc – between $20,000 to $1 million. Most will also help you to cancel and reestablish your lost information, like credit cards, bank accounts, driver’s license, birth certificate and social security card.
- Try going with an identity theft company that will offer you a free trial – usually between two weeks and 30 days. Some companies will offer an individual and family package for reduced rates. Additional benefits you may encounter is junk mail prevention. Some will offer to remove your name from mailing lists, including pre-approved credit card and general junk mail.
Doing whatever it takes to prevent your identity from being stolen is everyone’s mission. It isn’t required of you to go it alone, so see if any identity theft prevention companies can assist you in making your life easier and identity safer.
Protecting your identity gets harder and harder as technology advances. Thankfully, there are products and tools we can use to help safeguard our precious data. You can find deals on some of these services on Groupon, such as from brands like Norton and McAfee.
Make sure the sites you shop with are encrypted. If you’re planning to travel, you can book your stay using Best of Orlando. While you’re there, make sure to keep a close eye on your laptop, smartphone and any other mobile devices you use to connect to the internet.